Presidents Message – July 2017
Posted - Jul 17, 2017
I hope that everyone had a fun, relaxing, and safe 4th of July holiday!
As I reflect on what that day means to me, my thoughts instinctively converge onto the terms independence and freedom. As a Safety Professional, I cannot help but make the connection to OSHA’s General Duty Clause, which states that an employer is responsible for furnishing “a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to [their] employees.“
I am proud to be a Safety Professional who strongly believes in this call to duty for workplace freedom! Therefore, I am truly thankful to be a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, whose mission is to provide resources and support to all of its members making a positive difference in progressing and maintaining safe and healthy working environments in their organizations!
As the incoming Chapter President, I want emphasize that our Chapter Officers are already working diligently this year to provide you, our members, with more resources to become better Safety Professionals.
These are just a few items on our agenda that we are developing this year:
- Investing in your membership benefits (i.e., sharing best practices and lessons learned)
- Recruiting distinguished speakers for our technical presentations
- Improving Chapter communications by harnessing technology
- Providing opportunities for networking, mentoring, and professional development
- Creating a student scholarship fund to ensure the future of the safety profession
- Assisting members to obtain professional safety certifications and awards
Thank you very much for the opportunity to serve you in this Chapter role. I look forward to working with you all in the upcoming year!
Matthew F. Herron, CSP
President, South Texas Chapter American Society of Safety Engineers